Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Following Jesus . . . What does it mean???


I want to follow Jesus. I love to write personal notes to folks, actually if you want, post your address in the comments and I will write you a personal note. As I begin my notes, I almost always start with "Greetings" and I end my letters with "Following Jesus" then my name.

Well, anyhow. I want my life to be lived out as a follower of Jesus. Jesus said "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23) I have a hard time denying myself. Why do I allow myself to get in the way so often. I want to serve and follow Jesus fully. What does that mean exactly?? Have you ever heard of a guy named Dietrich Bonhoeffer?? He wrote an amazing book called The Cost of Discipleship. I have only read about half of the book because it was so challenging to my own soul. I want to be real and authentic. I do not want to be a Sunday only follower of Jesus. I want to be a full on follower. I know that I will struggle in this quest. I want my life to bring Glory to Jesus. I want my life to be a blessing to those in this world.

I am praying for you today. Have a wonderful day. I am choosing today and now to continue to Follow Jesus in this life. Peace

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Stuff like this, spiritual stuff always makes me kind of back away from religion. I took conformation class last year, and it wasn't deep at all. They basically assumed that everyone was there because their parents made them go and they didn't want to actually THINK about stuff, and I did. That frustrated me enough not to end up getting confirmed, which made people ask stupid questions (why didn't you get confirmed? Because I didn't want to. End of that.) So now... I have no idea. I don't like going to church, but I don't really know of any religion that "fits".
Eurgh.

Tree said...

Sam, to back away from religion may not be all that bad a thing. It is not about mans rules to get to God. It is about Jesus. Jesus, calls one to consider life. Jesus invites one to follow him. Jesus encourages one to consider truth, to cosider reality, to consider eternity. It is not about the Church one attends, or the group they belong to, it is all about Jesus. Finding and Following Jesus is a choice that affects the entire lifestyle. Sam, It is my hope that you will not toss out Jesus with the struggle to find a religion that "fits". You may never find a religion that fits the spot that was made for only Jesus to fit. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that fact that you are a deep thinker. Know this, I am not trying to tell you what to believe, I would be a fool to do that. I am asking you to seek TRUTH in your quest to understand where you fit into the big picture. Have an awesome day. Peace.