Monday, December 31, 2007

The Last Blog of 2007

Hi, or should I be saying Bye?? Today is the last day of the year 2007. It is amazing that one moment separates 2007 from 2008. I plan on being up at that moment. Even though some where in this world folks are already in 2008. I am going to celebrate the change at 11:59:59 pm eastern standard time. So that tells you when the new year will come in for me.

What does the new year hold?? Is it just a series of multiple days stacked in rows of months and so forth?? Is it a set of daily sunrises and sunsets?? Is it a steady flow of paychecks?? Is it another opportunity to go shopping and buy more stuff we hope will make us happy, just to find out that stuff never makes us happy. I did by the way make two last purchases today. The last stab at finding happiness in 2007. I bought a pen from Fahrney's Pens out of Washington DC. It is a Parker ballpoint and it looks like this:
It is being shipped out today. My wife said it would be a belated Christmas Gift. Will it make me happy?? Yes, for a moment. I love pens. They are one of those things that I just can not get enough of, if you know what I mean. What is something that you like, that you can never get enough of?? I would love to hear your story. I am also going to try to take a one year sabbatical from buying any new pens. So for the year 2008, I am going to try to use only the pens I have and enjoy knowing that someone else is enjoying a new pen this year. I know it may seem odd, but I want to learn to be content.
What is Happy? Is it possible to be a happy person? I am basically a happy individual. Most of the time I am upbeat and jovial. Who does not have a down day?? What do you do when you have a down day?? How do you deal with the things that begin to press in and rob you of your happiness? Is happiness the goal exactly, or a byproduct of another goal accomplished? Is there a continual state of happiness that we should be trying to attain to?? Well, that is enough on this happiness thing. Are you happy?? What makes you happy?? OK, I said it would be enough, so that is enough.

Do you have plans for 2008?? I have some hopes or dreams or goals if you will. I usually start off my Journal with Today . . ., But in this new year I am going to start my Journal entries with Today, I open my heart . . . I want to be good soil that is ready to receive the seed of Gods word. I will place myself before God this new year in hopes that his word will grow up in my life and produce great fruit. The Fruit of the Spirit is the fruit I seek. In Galatians 5:22 it tells us that the fruit is - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Some of my thoughts come from some of the things that my friend Chris said yesterday at church. here is the link if you have time to listen. http://www.orchardgrove.org/?p=86&p_id=59 choose "What kind of dirt are you?" and listen to it. It was amazing. I loved it. But it has to be more than just words I hear. I want it to take root, deep root in my life. I hope that this year will bring me closer to my wife and children. I will begin to do things that my kids like to do. My oldest son loves video games, so I will sharpen my skills this year. My youngest son love to do outdoor sports. So I will get involved with his sports. One sport we are going to do this year is Golf. I am so excited. We will see how it goes. I have to learn what my daughter loves to do, or would want to do with her dad. My wife and I are celebrating our 20th year of marriage this year. I do not know what to do with her. If you have any suggestions I would gladly take them. We are planning on Hawaii on our 25th. So that one is out of the question. I also hope to make a dent in my big man status. I want to restrict my eating and lazy lifestyle, so my lack of health begins to restrict what I am able to do.
I have a three prong goal for 2008 -
1. My Heart. - Spiritual
2. My Family. - Social
3. My Health. - Personal

Well, I am thankful to be looking back on a crazy 2007. I am excited to be looking forward to a optimistic 2008. I do not know what this New Year will hold, but I do know that I will grow with each step along the way. I will take each moment of this New Year with an attitude of thankfulness, knowing that it may actually be my last moment. I want to thank my friend Sam for teaching me to blog. You have had an influence on my life. I also want to thank Krista for her encouragement. It is exciting to know that you both read my blogs. I know you will have an incredible year filled with many emotions. I am praying for you. And to anyone else who reads these blogs, know that I am praying for you as well. Post a comment if you will. I wish you all a Happy New Year.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

You have a very zenful attitude towards the new year. Happy new year to you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the prayers. Thank you for having a blog that I can relate to and find some peace for awhile. Happiness is a goal for me, sometimes impossible, sometimes easy. I am fairly directionless for 2008. I feel like the sea is just moving me along...not a great feeling for me. When I was in high school I won a Cross pen and pencil set at Senior awards night. It was for exceptional performance in English. I never used it. It still sits in with my other awards. Sometimes I wonder if I peaked at 18.

Samantha said...

Krista, I wonder the last thing you mentioned sometimes. Do most people have one point in their lives that they wish they could go back to, the best time of their lives? Honestly, I hope that right now is not that time for me. I really can't imagine this, everyday numbness to be the best I ever get to. I wonder what my potential is, and if I'll ever reach it.
Soulloon, are you going to be in graphic arts on Thursday?

Tree said...

My plan is to be in Graphic Arts on Thursday. Sometimes that changes with the transition back to school with the students and teachers. But I plan on being there.

Anonymous said...

Sam, the idea is to keep reaching for a higher potential. I don't think I would want to live my high school years over, even though they are, to date, the best years of my life. The problem is falling into a rut and forgetting to even try to reach your potential. Never settle. Never lie down. Always have faith that there is a bigger picture and you are a part of it, as long as you keep trying. For me, trying is sometimes just getting out of bed and getting a shower. A triumph! If you currently feel numbness towards your life, then this is not your 15 minutes. It is still waiting for you to reach up and take a big bite.