Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I just want to blog . . .


What is it about a job that drives us to find our adequacy or our sense of worth. I am worth more than what I do as work. Work is a means to acquire the tools that are necessary to do business in our world, namely money. Why do I do the work I do?? That is a good question. I love my job for several reasons. I love people. My job gives me the opportunity to be with people in an educational setting. Sometimes the people I am around are happy to be in this setting, other times they are forced to be in the setting. I like to be in this setting with people because there is life, energy, hope and excitement. There is something about learning that I enjoy personally, but greater than the learning, I enjoy watching others learn and grow as well. I have been in education the greater part of my life. I am not the primary teacher, and with my job I do not earn the wage that the primary teacher would earn. So most of the time, I have had another part time job to provide the necessary means to live. I love to help people. I enjoy the opportunities my job gives me to love and help people where they are. I really do enjoy my job as a student helper. I see the good in people, when other only see bad. I am thankful for this opportunity to encourage them. I talk straight to them, and share with them the truth about life as I know it. I have had the opportunity to deal with kids who can not walk, or talk or interact - all the way, to kids that were so bright but were angry with the world, so they found themselves tangled in a web of self destruction. I have been with wonderful kids who contemplate what the future will be like and work hard and ask great questions, to kid who on the surface do not seem to care, but I can sense a desire in them to do better, or at least to be heard. By the way, did I say: "I love people". I am an Exhorter by nature. God designed me to be someone who loves to come alongside of others and encourage them in life. I also love to show mercy. It is the way that God has structured me. I also love to teach and learn together with other people. I love my job. I am learning to love the opportunities I am given in my new job as a cashier. I am meeting people in a brief exchange while they try to move to their next moment as quickly as possible. It is my hope and prayer that in some small way I can brighten their day during this quick financial exchange. Well, I have come, I have blogged and I must depart for the moment. Have a wonderful day. Thanks for reading. I am praying for your today. Peace


PS. I do struggle internally with my job and my identity. But I do love my job.

No comments: